SALSA reports and publications
4.2 Synthesis report on the future potential role of small farms in FNS in Europe in 2030 and 2050: results of a foresight assessment.
4.3 Roadmap for participatory foresight assessments at regional level, in contrasting regional contexts across Europe and Africa, building on the evaluation of the whole process of WP4.
2.2 Map of the estimated distribution of small farms in each reference region
2.3 Methodological report and guidance for the use of SENTINEL-2 data in assessing and monitoring of small farms and crop production.
5.2 Report on governance frameworks and gender
5.3 Practice Brief on the forms of small farmers and small food businesses organization that contribute to food availability, access, utilisation and stability.
6.1 Report on enabling conditions and existing policy instruments that are to, directly or indirectly, promote the development of small farms and a corresponding tailoring of international cooperation and agricultural research for development
6.2 Strategic framework for guiding decision-makers in the choice of appropriate support instruments (including the related evaluation and learning arrangements).
6.3 Policy brief with policy lessons and recommendations. See Policy Briefs above
Strengthening Agricultural Innovation Systems for Family Farming: Multi-stakeholder processes to develop capacities to innovate for food and nutrition security
Presentations from the side event held at CFS 17 October, 2019
- Selvaraju Ramasamy, Head, Research and Extension Unit, FAO
Overview of FAO’s role in strengthening agricultural innovation systems for family farmers
- Theo De Jager, President, World Farmers’ Organization
Farmers in the global political processes on climate change and agriculture: The Climakers Initiative
- Judith Francis, Chair of the Tropical Agriculture Platform
The TAP Common Framework on Capacity Development for Agriculture Innovation System
- Willem Olthof, Deputy Head of the Unit ‘Rural Development, Food Security and Nutrition’, DG DEVCO, European Commission
EU approach in support to innovation and research for agricultural and rural transformation
- Teresa Pinto-Correia, Coordinator, Horizon 2020 SALSA project, University of Évora
Understanding the role of small farms in Europe and Africa: the transdisciplinary research approach of the SALSA project
Special Issue: Global Food Security
SALSA Project-based scientific articles on Small Scale Farming and the Future of the European Food System
A new typology of small farms in Europe (Guarin et al. 2020)
Assessing the role of small farms in regional food systems in Europe Evidence from a comparative study (Rivera et al. 2020)
Territorial fitting of small farms in Europe (Tisenkopfs et al. 2020)
How do small farms contribute to food and nutrition security? Linking European small farms, strategies and outcomes in territorial food systems (Galli et al. 2020)
- The drivers of change for the contribution of small farms to regional food security in Europe (Arnalte-Mur et al. 2020)
Do small food businesses enable small farms to connect to regional food systems? Evidence from 9 European regions (Hernández et al. 2021)
Food system integration of olive-oil-producing small farms in Southern Europe (Karanikolas et al. 2021)
Other scientific publications
- Typology and distribution of small farms in Europe: Towards a better picture (Guiomar et al., Land Use Policy 2018)
- Small farms’ strategies between self-provision and socio-economic integration: effects on food system capacity to provide food and nutrition security (Palmioli et al., Local Environment 2019)
- New Evaluation of Small Farms: Implication for an Analysis of Food Security (Ardakani et al., Agriculture 2020)
- The Role of Small Farms and Small Food Businesses in Santiago Island, Cabo Verde (Rodrigues Fortes et al., Agriculture 2020)